Job Title: Environmental Consultant
Salary/Rate: £35,000 - £40,000
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Environmental
Our client is a multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy, specialising in environmental claims management, ground verification and monitoring, remediation, incident response and contaminated land projects across the UK. They have an excellent reputation for the successful management of complex environmental incidents for commercial clients in the construction, energy, chemical, industrial and agricultural markets offering design and implantation of in situ remediation programmes on often challenging brownfield sites. They also offer a wide range of soil and groundwater remediation treatments, and additionally the design of sustainable environmental based solutions to the public sector, property developers, construction contractors, chemical and petrochemical industry.
This challenging and exciting opportunity requires an individual with technical experience within the environmental, remediation or contaminated land sectors.
Our client’s environmental teams across the UK have a strategy to grow significantly over the next three to five years, and thus have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental Consultant to play a key role in helping to realise this strategy. The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience and technical expertise in contaminated land ground investigation, risk assessment and remediation. Working on multiple schemes simultaneously within various sectors, the responsibilities will comprise of both operational and financial cradle to grave management of projects and working within a multi-skilled team, conducting technical reviews, interpretative report writing, liaison and meetings with clients and regulatory authorities, and ensuring compliance with health and safety guidelines.
- Holistic project management of environmental claims projects, including all aspects of fieldwork data gathering, risk assessment, and factual and interpretive reporting under supervision, ensuring agreed budgets and delivery deadlines are met
- Responsible for all project budgeting and invoicing, ensuring works are delivered in a timely manner and aligned with client service level agreements
- Additional works will include ground and site investigations, soil sampling and environmental monitoring schemes, including trial pits, window sampling and borehole logging etc
- Management of numerous sites and projects, all running simultaneously, and often at differing stages of the contract lifecycle
- Responsible for robust fieldwork data gathering on all projects as required
- Maintain project communication on appropriate technical and commercial levels to a diverse range of clients, regulators and homeowners
- Write technically sound and commercially focused proposals, scopes and reports
- Ability to work in a safe manner and observe the company’s HSE procedures, including any specific site rules or procedures
- Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in an engineering or natural science related discipline such as geology, engineering geology, environmental science or physical geography, in conjunction with a minimum of five years relevant industry experience
- Phase I and Phase II investigation experience, including supervision of GI / SI subcontractors
- Experience completing factual and interpretative preliminary risk assessments (desk based and intrusive assessments) and Detailed Quantitative Risk Assessments (DQRA)
- Understanding of current and emerging environmental legislation
- A full UK driving license
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Strong analytical and numerical skills, with the ability to pay close attention to detail
- Motivated, friendly and confident interacting with clients, internal teams and members of the public
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including the ability to write technically sound and commercially focused proposals and reports
- Demonstrable project delivery competency, including an appreciation of HSE requirements, and ensuring agreed budgets and delivery deadlines are met
- Excellent IT skills, including data interpretation, the use of Microsoft Word and Excel, and ideally an exposure to industry related software packages
- Ability to communicate on appropriate technical and commercial levels to a diverse range of clients
- Ability to work with autonomy, as well as managing and monitoring junior staff and the needs of the wider team
An attractive salary and benefits package (permanent) is on offer to the successful candidate, along with longevity of work, job security and career progression, given the company’s significant forward order workload, their market leading status, and their continued commitment to profitable growth throughout all areas of the industry.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital / civil partnership status, religion / belief or nationality.