Job Title: Estimator
Salary/Rate: £30,000 - £35,000
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Ground Engineering
Our client is one of the UK’s largest specialist contractors, renowned for providing technically advanced and cost-effective design and build solutions to the civil engineering, infrastructure and construction industries. Their reputation is built on engineering excellence and a commitment to continual innovation, backed by a central technical design and R&D resource, they can deliver the full range of heavy civils, groundworks, site remediation, geotechnical and structural engineering techniques, amongst many others.
This challenging and exciting opportunity requires an Estimator operating at any level or possessing any level of experience from the civil engineering, geotechnical and ground engineering, or specialist geological construction contractor or consultant arenas.
Due to continued growth, new investment and a significant increase in tender opportunities across the UK, our client has an exciting opportunity for an Estimator to assist in their further ambitious expansion plans. The position will be based from the Midlands head offices, and candidates must be able to demonstrate a commercial aptitude along with some previous estimating experience within the civil engineering or ground and geotechnical engineering market, alternatively groundworks, earthworks, GI, GS, SI would be equally appealing, and this can be from either a contractor or consultancy background.
- To successfully contribute, and on occasions, oversee all elements in the build-up and submission of estimates, bids, tenders and proposals
- To produce competitive and creative estimates for a wide variety of projects and clients
- You will work in a close-knit team responsible for aspects relating to the budget, costing and financial elements of technically complex and client focused project requirements
- Financially responsible for estimating in a core work winning team, coupled with the accountability for practical completion of all assigned bids and tender proposals
- To assist with the whole cost process, and to work closely with the client, employers’ representatives and internal teams
- To ensure professional relationships (internal and external) are developed and maintained to maximise opportunities to successfully procure and profitably deliver projects
- To co-ordinate estimates in line with the design, procurement and project teams, all to ensure that the information flow and progress collectively achieve the necessary deadlines
- To work closely with other members of the business to ensure that the company position is maintained at the highest potential level
- To contribute to the process structure for estimates, and review the effectiveness of this at regular intervals
- Pursue existing clients and new customer contacts to assist in the procurement of work winning and potential future work opportunities
- To meet at regular intervals and provide formal progress reports for presentation to the management
- To manage and co-ordinate information and the communication process, both within the team and to external bodies
- To work proactively and effectively, helping to ensure that individual and team targets are achieved or exceeded
- Able to demonstrate any level of estimating experience or competence within the civil engineering, geotechnical and ground engineering, or specialist geological construction contractor or consultant arenas
- Be able to operate hands-on in a non-confrontational manner and thrive in a team orientated environment
- Be able to demonstrate sound commercial acumen, but with the ability to delegate necessary responsibility
- Must be able to demonstrate successful client management techniques
- To have experience of successfully negotiating and completing estimates, bids and tenders with a host of clients
- Should have presence, be well presented and outward going
- Must have excellent time management skills, being able to effectively prioritise and delegate against deadlines
- Open to new ideas, not set in your ways and able to think laterally
- Ensuring maximisation of financial return, whilst maintaining and developing relationships through high service levels and quality processes
- Able to take a strategic view and prioritise effectively
- A motivator and team player who is able to evaluate problems or issues and offer solutions
An attractive basic salary plus extensive benefits package is on offer for the successful candidate, along with longevity and security of work given the company’s commitment to growth, a significant forward order workload and extensive future tendering schedule.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, religion and belief or nationality.