Job Title: Senior Design & Estimating Engineer
Salary/Rate: £40,000 - £50,000
Location: Bury St Edmunds
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Piling
Our client is a leading piling and ground engineering contractor and has earned an enviable reputation for quality, innovation and customer service.
This challenging and exciting opportunity requires an experienced Engineer with demonstrable pre-contracts design and estimating experience from within the piling, foundations, geotechnical or ground engineering sectors.
Reporting to the Managing Director you will be accountable for producing a wide range of piling, foundations and geotechnical designs and tenders in line with client specifications and industry best practice standards.
This position will suit an ambitious Engineer with demonstrable experience in the sector, who is looking for an opportunity to progress quickly with the opportunity to grow a team and lead technical function of the business.
- Produce and lead the delivery of high-quality piling, foundations, and geotechnical / ground engineering design and tendered solutions against business and client targets
- To challenge and review all elements of the cost and design, to be proactive and identify potential to reduce risk and improve efficiency wherever possible
- To produce high quality material, identifying constraints and improvements which can impact on quality, whilst regularly updating planners and project teams to ensure timescales are achievable without compromising quality
- Actively promote and demonstrate the core values of the business through day to day work and look to co-operate and communicate with other staff across the business and all relevant teams in the ideology of adding most value in every area of work to assist in the efficient and successful design and pricing of all schemes
- Working with the pre-construction teams to help control the build-up and timely submission of all assigned designs and tenders
- Co-ordinate and add engineering value at the bid stage of new schemes
- Prepare regular reports on performance to assist in decision making
- Participate in regular review meetings with the relevant teams developing a pro-active focus upon client expectations and contract design and tender delivery
- To participate in regular progress meetings for presentations to the relevant management
- Ensure that tenders and designs adhere to policies in line with business objectives and ensure the company complies with legal requirements and best practice procedures
- Take responsibility for meeting your own targets, whilst managing risks effectively and delivering all agreed outputs, within the company ideals
- Attend site visits and client meeting on behalf of the company to ensure existing relationships are enhanced and increase the opportunity of further work winning
- Able to demonstrate a proven track record in the design and estimation of piles, foundations, geotechnical / ground engineering contracts
- Ability to join an existing and established business and contribute in a manner with enthusiasm and drive
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, being able to relate to people at all levels in an organisation and to establish and maintain respect both professionally and personally
- To have previous experience of multi contracts design and estimation, coupled with familiarity with the relevant technical specification requirements / codes / standards
- Must possess an excellent understanding of what is required to be a member of a team in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to manage and deliver
- Expertise to benchmark, understand best practice, and collate then analyse information on contracts and the client
- Ensuring maximisation of business return through proposals, whilst maintaining and developing internal and external client relationships via high levels of service
- Be able to operate hands-on in a non-confrontational manner and thrive in a team-orientated environment
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to successfully manage client relations
- Ability to promote alternative solutions through engineered innovation and implementation of new concepts
- Proven experience of networking or communicating with clients and / or their advisors
A highly attractive basic salary plus extensive benefits package is on offer for the successful candidate, along with security of work given the company’s commitment to growth and a forward order workload.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital/civil partnership status, religion/belief or nationality.