Job Title: Commercial Manager
Salary/Rate: £70,000 - £75,000
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Piling
Our client provides a total capability in the early construction phases covering a wide variation of construction, civil engineering and infrastructure projects, providing an end-to-end solution or a bespoke choice of services. Backed by a central technical design and engineering resource, our client delivers the full range of civil, structural, foundations, groundworks, site remediation, underpinning, GI, piling and geotechnical techniques. As one of the largest and established specialist contractors in the UK, the company is able to provide clients with a bespoke solution tailored specifically to their individual requirements, no matter how technically complex or challenging, all fully supported by their state-of-the-art processes and technologies.
Due to continued growth, a significant forward order workload and an ambitious expansion plan our client is now seeking to appoint a Commercial Manager.
This is an opportunity for a senior commercial professional with strong organisation and communication skills and a demonstrable track record of experience within the groundworks / piling / heavy civils / structural / geotechnical arena, to commercially manage all stages of a large portfolio of projects within one of the industry’s most reputable contractors. The role will be based in their South East office and will require occasional travel to client meetings and contract sites.
• Overseeing all commercial activities, commercial compliance and financial / legal governance, whilst working closely with the operations and management teams
• Risk identification, contract penalty clause reduction, risk aversion, risk avoidance, contract vetting, terms and conditions of contract negotiation and risk management
• Cash flow management and budget compliance
• Continual review and challenge of existing commercial processes and compliance to identify and implement best practice
• To review and vet contracts and sub-contracts or ensure contracts have been drawn up correctly prior to commencement of works, to red flag areas for concern / onerous clauses, and to review / vet contracts drawn up by both Clients and third parties
• To oversee additional commercial and compliance aspects of activities such as tender enquiries, bid evaluations and the settlement of claims / disputes
• Identifying and managing risk and opportunities associated with all contracts and Clients
• Provide commercial / contractual / compliance advice to operations teams
• Notification, preparation and agreement of insurance claims
• Attend project start up and close out meetings
• Oversee the timely submission of final accounts to the senior management and to Clients
• Maintain a register of contractual claims and disputes for and against the company
• Undertake regular commercial and compliance audits for each main contract to ensure good practice and compliance with all company procedures
• Prepare monthly reports identifying trends and areas for improvement
• Managing contracts (using various forms) including final account measurement and agreement of interim assessments, early warning notifications, compensation events and extensions of time etc.
• Financial reconciliation and general contractual administration
• Attending / contributing to risk management, value engineering, cost / value, progress and compliance meetings
• Preparation of weekly / monthly cost / value reports and agreeing of final accounts
• Preparation and administration of Sub contract documents including sub contract set up, Administration of the account to final account stage.
• To have a proven track record in quantity surveying / commercial management from within the groundworks / piling / heavy civils / structural / geotechnical sectors
• Can demonstrate experience gained of a wide variety of projects and be familiar with most forms of contracts, especially NEC and JCT
• To have a good understanding of the commercial role in general and strategical terms from the initial pre-qualification process including estimating / tendering / work winning / bid management and client presentations through to project mobilisation and ultimately final account stages
• To have experience of risk assessment, risk and claims avoidance, risk negotiation / settlement, and able to identify situations and circumvent conflict
• Exposure to contracting, supply chain management and non-traditional procurement
• To have well rounded knowledge with exposure to general commercial management
• A motivator and manager of others who is able to evaluate problems or issues and offer solutions
• Computer literate, mentally agile and flexible in order to learn new systems and find cost effective solutions to problems
• Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, being able to relate to people at all levels in an organisation and to establish and maintain respect both professionally and personally
• Should be robust and resilient, possessing drive determination and natural enthusiasm as well as being a team player
• Should have presence, be well presented and outward going
• Must have excellent time management skills being able to effectively prioritise and delegate against deadlines
This challenging and exciting opportunity, based in the South East, requires an individual with a good technical background and demonstrable experience in taking the commercial lead on groundworks / piling / heavy civils / structural / geotechnical engineering contracts. A highly attractive basic salary (permanent) plus extensive benefits package is on offer for the successful candidate, along with longevity of work and career progression given the company’s ambitious growth plans and reputation excellence within the industry.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital / civil partnership status, religion / belief or nationality.