Job Title: Business Development Manager
Salary/Rate: £75,000 - £80,000 plus package
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Ground Engineering
Our client is proud to be one of the country’s leading Civil Engineering, Infrastructure and Geotechnical Engineering contractors and has earned an enviable reputation for quality, innovation and customer service. The business is represented throughout the UK by a network of regional offices, each offering a full portfolio of project disciplines. This enables them to provide all their clients with the most efficient reliable and value-engineered solution, regardless of a project size of location.
Our client has all appropriate UK, European and International industry standards to ensure safety, procurement and working practices are adhered to. The dedicated staff are involved in a comprehensive ongoing training programme designed to ensure they are equipped to meet the changing needs of this exciting industry. Our client is focused on building upon their history and reputation of quality workmanship and timely project completion. The company actively promote partnering through all of their contracts and are committed to achieving continual improvement with the objective of increasing their performance, future opportunities and making their workplace a platform for employee excellence.
The Business Development Manager will lead the sales process for the enhancement of existing clients, the development of new opportunities and leading specific bids for the company, which will include framework agreements and standalone tenders. The suitable candidate will be familiar with the pre-contract processes, capabilities, technical requirements and client standards and specifications and will be able to converse with clients to deliver bid winning proposals. You will also ensure that robust selectivity criteria are applied for new opportunities, providing appropriate challenge where necessary so that each opportunity has sufficient and clearly allocated resources as required. You will also be responsible for the end-to-end ownership of their specific opportunities from pipeline to handover.
- As Business Development Manager you will be responsible for ongoing development and ensuring success with new and existing clients in the civil, infrastructure and construction sectors; helping to secure work and tender opportunities
- You will have a proven track record of Business Development / Bidding experience within any of the aforementioned markets
- You will have a proven track record in the successful procurement, development and award of multi-faceted business opportunities, with the ability to nurture profitable relationships with a wide cross section of clients, whilst also providing budgetary and technical advice wherever possible
- You will ideally be able to make an immediate impact upon the business with an established understanding of all cycles of the business development and bidding process as you will be required to manage your own workload effectively, whilst regularly reporting back to the directors on progress with any potential work opportunities
- You should be outgoing with excellent negotiation, communication and presentation skills and have the ability to form long term relationships with clients and stakeholders of all levels
- You will provide opportunity to increase the number of enquiries, leading to an increase in successful contract awards to meet the overall business turnover target.
- You will assist in the submission of all bids, tenders and of pre-qualification documents, you will also add valued input with pre-contract negotiations and terms and conditions
- You will lead the expansion of the service offering to a broader client base and engage with selected parts of client organisations to ensure that understanding of their current and future needs is as complete as possible
- You will create and maintain individual Client Development Plans for nominated accounts and sales pipelines aligned to the business strategy, whilst closely working with the Engineering and Operations Teams to identify opportunities to support clients and develop bid winning themes
- You will liaise with clients to identify opportunities for technical support to their business and be fully conversant with the design capabilities, technical innovations, operational processes and procedures within the rail sector in order to better understand client requirements and opportunities
- You will lead the bidding process and be an integral part of the wider Business Development team to provide support to the broader process of work winning strategy, ensuring that the company “win themes” are clearly defined and articulated
- Adherence to the company requirements including pipeline reporting, sales opportunity reviews, preparation of tender board papers and presentation of opportunities to management will be required
- You will be writing key elements of bid responses, whilst reviewing the work of those contributing and providing advice on content and structure of all documents accordingly
- You will provide commercial input to the bid process to ensure the company offering is in line with the market standing and offers the client compelling value
- You will ensure that the client database is used to record and track all opportunities in addition to all other client information including contact details, meeting minutes and organisational information etc.
- As Business Development Manager you will possess a comprehensive understanding of the civil engineering, construction, infrastructure, structural and geotechnical markets as a whole, and have a proven success of winning contracts and developing opportunities within these sectors
- You will have extensive Business Development and Bidding experience in a similar role within the industry
- A detailed knowledge of these sectors gained either through direct experience of delivery and / or direct experience of sales / bidding activity in this field
- Demonstrable capability in the sales / marketing process
- Experience of working collaboratively within a high pressure team environment
- Demonstrable understanding of client relationship management processes, tools and techniques
- Commercial acumen in tendering / business proposals
- Leadership capability with the ability to motivate and others and drive success within a management organisational structure
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate both verbally and in writing
- Excellent IT skills particularly around MS Word, PowerPoint Capability in MS Project is advantageous
This challenging and exciting opportunity requires an individual with a strong technical background and demonstrable experience in taking the lead on business development and bidding activities within the aforementioned sectors. You will also possess experience in the assistance of tendering and estimating of projects and experience in developing sales opportunities from specific client requirements. A highly attractive basic salary plus extensive benefits package is on offer, along with longevity of work given the company has a clear and defined commitment to growth.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital/civil partnership status, religion/belief or nationality.