Job Title: Quantity Surveyor
Salary/Rate: £40,000 - £45,000
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Piling
Our client is proud to be one of the UK’s leading heavy civils, foundations, piling and ground engineering contractors, and has earned an enviable reputation for quality, innovation and customer service. The company offers a range of specialist design and construction services, including various techniques such as groundworks, ground stabilisation, temporary works, secant and contiguous piled walls, ground beams and restricted access underpinning.
Due to continued expansion, an abundant pipeline of works, and the recent award of a number of long-term, major contracts, our client is now looking to appoint a Quantity Surveyor. Reporting to the Commercial Manager the main purpose of this role will be to ensure commercial and contractual control and co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of assigned projects. You will provide support and assistance to other members of the commercial and quantity surveying teams, and Directors and Managers on all aspects relating to commercial activity.
- In conjunction with the relevant project management and commercial team members, be accountable for the profitability of projects, and assist in the development of an appropriate commercial strategy for schemes to ensure delivery of required margins
- Assist in the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system, ensuring all financial information is captured, managed, updated, tracked and reported with budget costs, tender allowances, risk, opportunities and deviations
- Assist in necessary interface information between clients, subcontractors, suppliers and internal teams
- Ensure any contract changes are identified, valued and turned into agreed variation orders with clients in a timely manner
- Ensure that subcontracts are placed in an appropriate manner to step down required responsibilities from the main contract
- Assist the project delivery team in arranging and undertaking financial reviews, including the issue of associated reports
- Assist in the provision of accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on projects in line with the company’s reporting process, whilst always ensuring compliance with commercial expectations
- Support progress monitoring, provide commercial reporting and incorporate information to support change management and variations orders
- Previous experience in the capacity of being a member of a commercial team within a relevant civil engineering, construction, sub-contracting or infrastructure environment
- Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of contract
- Knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes
- Knowledge of various construction techniques for a wide array of projects
- Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of quantity surveying to complex and challenging schemes
- Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts
- Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement
- Proficiency in administration, communication, reporting, numeracy, IT and MS Office etc
- The ability to build effective relationships at all levels both internally and externally
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on your own initiative
- Enthusiasm and results focussed, with an ability to work well under pressure and to challenging or stringent deadlines
- Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external clients and teams
A highly attractive remuneration package is on offer for the successful candidate, coupled with career progression, security and longevity of work given the company’s secured forward order workload over the next five years and their continued dedication to profitable growth within the UK.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital/civil partnership status, religion/belief or nationality.