Job Title: Senior Protection & Control Design Engineer
Salary/Rate: £60,000 - £65,000
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Power
Our client is a world leading provider of new build, design & build, repair, maintenance and upgrade contracting services across all areas of the power transmission and distribution sector to a wide variety of clients throughout the UK and Worldwide. Our client is very much driven by its people, and will continue to develop and recruit high calibre individuals to support its active management team and a highly skilled workforce to undertake the specification and design of multi-faceted, technically complex HV projects (up to 400 kV) to be installed and constructed by their operations and project teams.
This challenging and exciting opportunity requires an individual of senior level possessing a strong technical background and demonstrable working experience within HV and EHV Protection & Control design.
Due to a number of recent successful contract awards and a considerable future growth plan, our client is looking to strengthen its design team. The purpose of this role will be to provide project leadership for design delivery of one or more electrical substation projects from tendering to handover. You will perform and lead the design delivery for electrical substation projects up to 400kV with the assistance of the Design Engineers. You will also provide guidance, mentoring and advice to other members of the team.
- Ensure that allocated projects meet or exceed the requirements of safety by design, quality, programme and budget
- Deliver and lead C&P systems design for substations up to 400kV
- Enact your role and deliver associated responsibilities in line with applicable regulations, codes, documents and standards
- Orchestrate customer witness tests for C&P systems
- Represent the department at project start-up, scheme review, progress, close-out, liaison and other meetings
- Responsible for maintaining internal and external interfaces during all stages of projects
- On receipt of confirmation of contract award, undertake a review of the estimate and any additional post tender requirements
- Prepare design projects status via a project-specific report as per department procedures
- Should any changes in scope be requested by the client, raise EWN’s that quantifies the associated impact and costs
- Flag deviations, seek and agree mitigation
- Conduct weekly reviews of TQ’s / EWN’s, and monitor then escalate as necessary
- Relevant, demonstrable industry experience is essential, coupled with a degree, tertiary qualification or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Possess a detailed understanding of how substations are constructed, operated, maintained and decommissioned
- Possess a detailed understating of substation plant, specifically C&P elements
- Understanding of the design and construction methodologies for substations up to 400kV
- Demonstrable C&P design experience with regard to DNO and TNO networks up to 400kV
- Able to quickly acquire technical knowledge for changing technological advancements in energy service provisions
- Working knowledge of the appropriate UK legislation and standards
- Extensive experience in HV substation design
- Reasonable working knowledge of project co-ordination, estimating, scope change management, programme management and reporting
A highly attractive basic salary plus extensive benefits package is on offer to the successful candidate, along with longevity of work and forward career progression given the company’s stature within the market place, their significant forward order workload and a dedicated commitment to continued, sustainable growth.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, religion and belief or nationality.