Job Title: Chartered Engineer
Salary/Rate: £40,000 - £50,000
Job Type: Permanent
Industry/Specialist Area: Ground Engineering
Our client is the UK’s largest independent ground engineering consultancy, specialising in geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering, delivering a leading-edge service for a wide range of clients. They provide advice and design solutions on a broad range of ground / geotechnical related challenges, working directly with clients or their design and construction teams. Their strengths are core engineering knowledge and broad perspective incorporating both geotechnical and geo-environmental expertise, and a commitment to continual innovation, backed by a central technical design and engineering resource.
This challenging and exciting opportunity, which can be based from offices across Surrey or London, requires an individual with proven technical design and demonstrable experience within the geotechnical and / or ground engineering sectors.
The ground engineering team in the South East has a strategy to grow significantly over the next three to five years, and thus have an exciting opportunity for a Chartered Engineer to play a key role in realising this strategy.
The successful candidate will have extensive design experience from within the geotechnical / ground engineering sector and be expected to deliver key technical input in to work winning strategies and securing consultancy works. You will offer a demonstrable track record as a Geotechnical Engineer from within a contractor or consultancy offering and be a Chartered Engineer, thus adding real value for their clients.
- You will be responsible for ongoing development and ensuring success with new and existing clients, helping to secure work and tender opportunities
- Management of geotechnical analysis and designs to Eurocodes and BS standards
- Ensure that you play an active part in keeping appropriately motivated to deliver high quality design solutions to the business, in line with client expectations and company requirements
- To challenge and review all elements of designs, to be proactive and identify potential to reduce risk and improve efficiency wherever possible
- To produce high quality material, right first time, identifying process constraints and improvements which can impact upon quality, and regularly update all involved teams to ensure timescales are achievable without compromising on quality
- Actively promote and demonstrate the Group’s core values through your day to day work, and look to co-operate and communicate with other teams across the business in the ideology of adding value in every area to assist in the efficient and successful delivery of all schemes
- Working with the estimating and pre-contract teams to control the build-up and timely submission of tenders, bids and proposals
- Co-ordinate and add value at the bid stage of new schemes
- Ensure that designs adhere to relevant Eurocodes / BS, company policies and business objectives, and ensure the company complies with legal requirements and best practice
- Take responsibility for meeting your own business targets, controls and operating costs in achieving investment plans, managing risks effectively and delivering all agreed outputs, all within the company’s ideals
- To ensure that any issues as a result of any improvement and / or change initiatives are managed effectively to the requirement of company and remain of prime importance
You will be a Chartered Engineer, offering extensive experience in the geotechnical and / or ground engineering sectors
You will possess a comprehensive understanding of the ground / geotechnical engineering sector as a whole, and competence in the use of Eurocode design including piling, piled walls, foundations, temporary works, soil nails, ground anchors and the planning, implementation and interpretation of site investigations
Experience in delivering detailed design engineering solutions, drawings and specifications including slope stability, earthworks, basements, deep excavations and/or retaining structures
Experience in creating and refining work practices, procedures and knowledge sharing to aid continuous improvement
Must possess an excellent understanding of operating as a valued member of a technical environment in a fast-paced environment with the ability to develop and enhance the daily design processes
Ability to promote alternative solutions through design, and implementation of new concepts to the business
Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, being able to relate to people at all levels in an organisation, and to establish and maintain respect with internal and external stakeholders both professionally and personally
Familiarity with the relevant technical specification requirements (Eurocodes / BS etc)
Knowledge and experience in the use of geotechnical software such as Wallap, Geostudio Slope W / Seep W, Frew etc would be advantageous
An attractive salary and benefits package (permanent) is on offer to the successful candidate, along with longevity of workload and career progression, given the company’s standing in the industry and their continued commitment to growth across the UK as a whole.
We are committed to equal opportunities. We wish to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and appointed solely on their suitability for the post irrespective of race, gender, age, disability, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, marital / civil partnership status, religion / belief or nationality.